30th July - 2 August 2010
Here is a wonderful opportunity for you to exhibit your work at the Cape Town Book Fair
Dear SCBWI Member,
The Frankfurt (European) Book Fair and PASA will be organising the Fifth International Book Fair in Cape Town. Venue: The Cape Town International Convention Centre.
Their aim is to create the most stimulating and exciting fair yet, with far more events.
SCBWI (SA) will be having a stand as usual where SCBWI members can display their work. Our aim is to publicise the advantages of SCBWI membership, to display the work of our members and to help South African writers and illustrators to make contact with the representatives from the international and local publishers coming to the Fair.
We also need your help to run the stand. Celeste Loriston (see contact details below) will be organising this and urgently needs to know the times when you can help.
Non SCBWI Members - We need quite a few people to man our stand during the Book Fair – So if you are not a member yet – if you can help us at man the stand for an hour or two, you can display your books/work in progress. We need two people manning the stand at all times.
Please contact Celeste Loriston (083 708 4917) email@example.com as soon as possible but NOT LATER THAN 19th July 2010 to let her know ASAP what time slots you are able to do (we need two people at a time). Ideally we need you to do a two-hour stint but if that is not possible, a one-hour stint.
More Information about the Book Fair
Phone: +27 (0) 21 4185493
Fax: +27 (0) 21 4185949
Adults - R60 per day except Friday – see below
Students & Pensioners - R25 per day
Children until the age of 13 - Free
Friday 30th July 2010 will be the very first Cape Town Book Fair Professional Day with a professional programme for all exhibitors and trade visitors.
8am till 6pm - Trade Visitors and Exhibitors only
If you want to attend this day, as a writer and/or illustrator, to show your illustrations and/or manuscript to publishers, you have to register as trade visitor – the cost os R 335 per person for the day – for more info and what the benefits are, go to http://www.capetownbookfair.com/trade-visitors/information-for-trade-visitors
To register, go to http://www.capetownbookfair.com/trade-visitors/registration/forms
Writers and/or illustrators who want to show their work to publishers on Saturday, Sunday and/or Monday after 10:00, do not have to be registered as trade visitors. The cost will only be the R60 per visitor for the day
Saturday 31st July 2010
8:00 till 10:00 - Trade Visitors and Exhibitors only
10:00 till 18:00 - All visitors
Sunday 1st August 2010
8:00 till 10:00: Trade Visitors and Exhibitors only
10:00 till 18:00- All visitors
Monday 2nd August 2010
8:00 till 10:00: - Trade Visitors and Exhibitors only
10:00 till 16:00 - All visitors
Exhibiting your work
- Boards will be displayed in a V shaped poster holder so visitors to the stand can page through them (MAXIMUM OF TWO BOARDS ARE ALLOWED PER ILLUSTRATOR)
- You can display published or unpublished work suitable for children’s books
- Use two sheets of Tripex board (620 grams and 1020x770mm) @ R35.00 and Acetate 175 microns (762 width) @ R35.90 a metre. ( Both these products are available at Deckle Edge (Woodstock (021) 448 6800 or Stellenbosch (021) 880 2816)
- Cut 4 mounting boards (50x70 cm) (Two to be used for backing and two for windows)
- Cut window mounts. (leave 2-3 cm breathing space and 3 cm between each illustration)
- Cover each illustration with acetate (Before positioning in the window mounts).
- Attach the extra boards to the back of the board on which you have mounted your illustration for strength and for it to look neater.
- Illustrations must be firmly secured to the board and be displayed on one side only (you can have more than one illustration per board).
- A limit of 15 published Books per person. These books should be DIFFERENT publications and not copies of the same publication. Choose your best work, not necessarily your most recent publications.
- We will also have a work in process section
- In the past the work-in-progress area looked a bit untidy so this year we will have a ring binder with plastic sheets in which writers’ and writer/illustrators’ work in progress can be displayed.
- Each person can have 6 X A4 pages in plastic sleeves for the SCBWI SA ring binder book
- If you would like to display your work/manuscript or picture book dummy separately it must be neatly bound
- Please include a CV which includes a photo and/or images; a list of your publications (Two A 4 pages maximum) and a synopsis of your story and an example of your manuscript (the way you prepare your work for Publishers Day)
- Every book or artwork should be clearly marked with your name and contact details.
- NO information about of any company or organisation can be displayed.
- SCBWI (SA) does not accept liability for loss of or damage to property.
- All material must reach us by NO LATER than Tuesday 28 July 2010. Otherwise you will have to bring it to the SCBWI stand at the Cape Town Book Fair before 11h00 on Saturday 31 July.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to get the address to which your material can be posted or delivered to and if you have any inquirers
Please arrange for your books or art works to be collected on Monday 2 August 2010 (16h00-17h00). Any material that has not been collected will be donated to a school of our (SCBWI SA) choice.